Direction Cheerfully Accepted

Do you have a recommendation? A suggestion? A hint? I cheerfully accept additions to my reading list for future entries. I offer no warranty regarding the content of my review, but I will get to it eventually, for values of eventually that are shorter when a review copy is provided.

Monday 13 April 2015

The 2015 Hugo Nominees (updated 2015/4/17)

The nominees for the 2015 Hugo Awards were announced at the beginning of April.  I will be adding reviews of the nominated work to my list of things to do between now and August - restricting myself to text fiction as I am (believe it or not) human.  In the interests of fairness, I will be trying to read all the works in question regardless of my personal feelings regarding the authors.  I will likewise try to keep my personal biases out of my reviews, and will treat personal attacks on the authors in the comments with extreme prejudice.

For reference, the nominees I plan to review are as follows, and I will read and review them in the order in which I am able to locate copies of the work in question.  The full list of nominees is available here. In addition, I may take a stab at both the nominees for related works and the Campbell Award but am reluctant to commit until I get a better sense of my reading progress as there is little here that I have already read.

Best Novel
Ancillary Sword, Ann Leckie (Orbit US/Orbit UK)
The Dark Between the Stars, Kevin J. Anderson (Tor Books)
The Goblin Emperor, Katherine Addison (Sarah Monette) (Tor Books)
Lines of Departure, Marko Kloos (47North) (withdrawn by the author)
Skin Game, Jim Butcher (Orbit UK/Roc Books)
The Three Body Problem, Cixin Liu (Ken Liu trans.) (Tor Books)

Best Novella
Big Boys Don’t Cry, Tom Kratman (Castalia House)
“Flow”, Arlan Andrews, Sr. (Analog, 11-2014) (online) (reviewed)
One Bright Star to Guide Them, John C. Wright (Castalia House)
“Pale Realms of Shade”, John C. Wright (The Book of Feasts & Seasons, Castalia House) (online)
“The Plural of Helen of Troy”, John C. Wright (City Beyond Time: Tales of the Fall of Metachronopolis, Castalia House)

Best Novelette 
“Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust, Earth to Alluvium”, Gray Rinehart (Orson Scott Card’s InterGalactic Medicine Show, 05-2014) (online) (reviewed)
“Championship B’tok”, Edward M. Lerner (Analog, 09-2014) (online) (reviewed)
“The Journeyman: In the Stone House”, Michael F. Flynn (Analog, 06-2014) (online) (reviewed)
“The Triple Sun: A Golden Age Tale”, Rajnar Vajra (Analog, 07/08-2014) (online) (reviewed)
"The Day the World Turned Upside Down", by Thomas Olde Heuvelt (Lightspeed, 04-2014) (online)
“Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa Claus”, John C. Wright (The Book of Feasts & Seasons, Castalia House) (online) (reviewed) (this work was removed from the slate due to ineligibility in 2015, having been previously published in substantially the same form in 2013)

Best Short Story
“Goodnight Stars”, Annie Bellet (The End is Now (Apocalypse Triptych Book 2), Broad Reach Publishing) (online) (withdrawn by the author)
“On A Spiritual Plain”, Lou Antonelli (Sci Phi Journal #2, 11-2014) (online) (reviewed)
“The Parliament of Beasts and Birds”, John C. Wright (The Book of Feasts & Seasons, Castalia House) (online) (reviewed)
“Totaled”, Kary English (Galaxy’s Edge Magazine, 07-2014) (online) (reviewed)
“Turncoat”, Steve Rzasa (Riding the Red Horse, Castalia House) (online) (reviewed)
"A Single Samurai", Steven Diamond (The Big Baen Book of Monsters, Baen Books)

Best Related Work
“The Hot Equations: Thermodynamics and Military SF”, Ken Burnside (Riding the Red Horse, Castalia House)
Letters from Gardner, Lou Antonelli (The Merry Blacksmith Press)
Transhuman and Subhuman: Essays on Science Fiction and Awful Truth, John C. Wright (Castalia House) (online)
“Why Science is Never Settled”, Tedd Roberts (Baen.com) (online)
Wisdom from My Internet, Michael Z. Williamson (Patriarchy Press)

The John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer
Wesley Chu*
Jason Cordova
Kary English*
Rolf Nelson
Eric S. Raymond

*Finalists in their 2nd year of eligibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment